Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Are Turkey Vultures Beautiful?

I have always been attracted and repulsed by buzzards, so I was a little excited when I had a brief encounter with some turkey vultures living in a nearby park.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder when it comes to these birds. I don't think I can call them exactly beautiful, but I will say they have a certain grotesque majesty.



This one and another flew out of this cave when I approached. Their heavily flapping wings startled me, but I think I startled them a lot more. I don't think they were too happy to be disturbed. Apparently, they hang out in this cave to keep cool.

I suppose I can say I'm attracted to these weird birds because they have such a singular purpose in life, and they fulfill that purpose oh so very thoroughly. Ah! therein lies their beauty! The earth needs these blushing cleaners, and who am I to begrudge them when their only goal in life is to fulfill the purpose that God has chosen for them.

Carry on with your carrion, noble buzzards!

***
The park is called Stone Oak Park, and there were other things here besides turkey vultures. I didn't walk everywhere because I want to save some for another day.

I don't believe this dead oak tree will provide enough shade for anyone who decides to take a breather on that bench, especially when the temperature soars over 100°F.


Here is an interesting way to mark the miles.

A place to rest.

Obviously, the day was very beautiful with a mildly cool breeze every so often. Nice, warm, and perfect for a walk in the park amid the Texas flora and fauna.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP