Saturday, January 10, 2009

Psalm 18:31

God's way is unerring; the Lord's promise is tried and true; He is a shield for all who trust in Him.This is truly good news! The Bible is filled with messages of God's promise. What struck me most about this verse is that the Lord's promise is tried and true. This is not only about a future promise that we must wait patiently to receive--God's promise to his people is also ongoing. It has been tried, and it has been found to be true--past, present, and future.

"Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, a world without end. Amen."
***
But the promise comes with a response from us: trust. We must trust in Him. O! this is so much easier said than done! I have found it incredibly easy to say, "Lord, I trust you." But how often do I follow these words with worry and indecisiveness? Is this how I am supposed to receive God's promise or His protection . . . with distrust? Of course not! I say the words, but do my actions prove it? Not always. I often say one thing and do or feel another.

Our words of trust and faith are meaningless if our actions prove otherwise.
***
I resolve to trust in God and His promise, and I will show Him my trust through my thoughts and my words and within my heart.

My outward actions should reflect that level of trust and faith in Him that I exhibit in my thoughts, my words, and my heart. I can be physically reminded of my resolve when I hear the Gospel at Mass as I trace the cross on my forehead, my lips, and my breast--and then go forth to do God's Will with my entire body filled with trust in Him. All three must work together: thoughts, words, and heart. It is not enough to just speak the words.

******************
This verse is translated differently in other Bibles, and it may also be numbered as verse 30. I find the New American Bible translation, however, to be incredibly meaningful and beautiful--for my own edification.
http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/

No comments:

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP