Monday, January 19, 2009

When I Try to Stand Still the Sidewalk Keeps Moving

The poem below, "Ode on a Grecian Urn" by John Keats, has helped me to view the changes that occur in my life in a more positive light. I have always secretly (and sometimes not so secretly) hated the idea of change--I have even lamented positive change just because it was new and different. I know change is inevitable, but that doesn't mean I always have to like it.

What this particular poem reveals to me is that even though I might want some things to stay the same, I shouldn't fear or shun change. I think I am finally able to accept this concept because I have been through a lot of change over many years. I am able to look back and see how important change (both good and bad) has been in my life. Some changes hurt at the time such as the end of a relationship, the end of a job, or loss and sadness of any kind. Some changes are celebrated such as a new relationship, a new job, and a new home. What I have realized is that even the seemingly negative changes have a purpose and often lead to good things or help me grow spiritually and emotionally. Looking back I can see those changes I didn't like at the time as necessary to get to situations and experiences that are good and positive. I can see how many changes can be viewed as transitions.


Case in point: my relationship with Ken. Through adversity and a whole lot of hard times, something beautiful happened! Fifteen years of marriage and counting. Our relationship is strong and wonderful because of every necessary step that brought us together and brought us to this very moment and to all future moments.

Back to the poem. You can see in stanzas 2 and 3 how beautiful it can be when things do not change: no loss, no grief - just anticipation of promised bliss and beauty that never fades. Nothing changes. This sounds so ideal! Well . . . actually . . . I don't think it's ideal at all. How do I know which moment to capture and keep the same for all eternity? What wonderful things would I miss out on if I stood still in one blissful moment? Sure, I have experienced heartache and unhappiness over the years, but O! what brilliant and remarkable things I have experienced also! I have met so many new friends, experienced so many new things, and loved so much! I willingly endure change of all sorts because those changes may lead to something delightful. And what a tragedy it would be if I were to miss anything!


Another case in point: Artemis, my beautiful baby kitty (8/15/1995 - 12/19/2006). I miss her every day. I count her death as a low point and a change I could do without, and I am still unable to think of her death without tears. But how wonderful those 11 years were when she was living in my life. Even though I had to experience the unhappy change at the end of her life, I wouldn't trade those years I did have with her for anything. Despite some sadness that still clings to her memory, I am a better person for knowing her.

I still want to stand still at times, but the world won't let me. I don't really mind too much because I know something fantastic might be just around the corner--even if I must suffer through the unwanted changes to get to it. I also refuse to miss out on something good even though it might lead to unwanted change in the future.

I can't stop change, but I can look at all change as stepping stones laid out to form my life's path.

I challenge you to read the following poem and reflect on its message just as I have done. What does it say to you?
*******************************
Ode on a Grecian Urnby John Keats (1820)
1
Thou still unravish'd bride of quietness,
Thou foster-child of silence and slow time,
Sylvan historian, who canst thus express
A flowery tale more sweetly than our rhyme:
What leaf-fring'd legend haunts about thy shape
Of deities or mortals, or of both,
In Tempe or the dales of Arcady?
What men or gods are these? What maidens loth?
What mad pursuit? What struggle to escape?
What pipes and timbrels? What wild ecstasy?

2
Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on;
Not to the sensual ear, but, more endear'd,
Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone:
Fair youth, beneath the trees, thou canst not leave
Thy song, not ever can those trees be bare;
Bold lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though a winning near the goal - yet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
For ever wilt thou love, and she be fair!

3
Ah, happy, happy boughs! that cannot shed
Your leaves, nor ever bid the spring adieu;
And, happy melodist, unwearied,
For ever piping songs for ever new;
More happy love! more happy, happy love!
For ever warm and still to be enjoy'd,
For ever panting, and for ever young;
All breathing human passion far above,
That leaves a heart high-sorrowful and cloy'd,
A burning forehead, and a parching tongue.

4
Who are these coming to the sacrifice?
To what green altar, O mysterious priest,
Lead'st thou that heifer lowing at the skies,
And all her silken flanks with garlands drest?
What little town by river or sea shore,
Or mountain-built with peaceful citadel,
Is emptied of this folk, this pious morn?
And, little town, thy streets for evermore
Will silent be; and not a soul to tell
Why thou art desolate, can e'er return.

5
O Attic shape! Fair attitude! with brede
Of marble men and maidens overwrought,
With forest branches and the trodden weed;
Thou, silent form, dost tease us out of thought
As doth eternity: Cold Pastoral!
When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

**********************
Apollo e Dafne by Bernini

No comments:

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP