Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Writing is Art

I do not write because it is my first choice of expression. I write because it has taken the place of drawing. It is easier to hide writing and not let people see your struggles, failures, and attempts at creativity or expression until you are ready. Drawing and painting can be big and messy and public and difficult to keep prying eyes from peeking over your shoulder or peeking when you are away until the work is finished. Drawing with a pencil or charcoal or pastels or paint or pen and ink is beautiful and fulfilling and obsessively cruel in its ever changing strokes, lines, and shadows. O! the emotions that flow from your brain to your arm to your fingers to your implement of choice onto the paper and then seeing a wordless picture emerge and envelope! Draw without looking at your hand, your paper, your expectations, your assumptions. Let your brain see and express; allow yourself to become lost and then found. Can writing compare to the beauty that is drawing, shading, building layer upon layer until the picture is complete? I seek the answer to this question as I continue to write and discover. The answer is being revealed to me at a snail's pace, but I know it will come because I am just beginning to see its unique beauty and promise. Words, grammar, the English language, and reading are my passion, so writing must be my passion as well. It must be.

God, show me the beauty in writing that I have found in drawing. Guide my thoughts and fingers as I seek to honor and praise You. Help me to reveal You and myself, your faithful servant and child, through my word-filled art that is writing. Amen.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP