Friday, February 27, 2009

Forty Days

Here it is: the first Friday of Lent. I have been struggling since Ash Wednesday because I want to find a way to help me really focus during this time. I desperately need to make some changes because my level of faith is not where I think it should be. I know it is a journey, but I feel that my pace has been lagging. Abstaining from meat on Fridays does help me to think of Christ and His suffering and death on Good Friday, but I do not eat meat on all Fridays--all year. I want to do more during Lent.

I do not "give up" anything during Lent (chocolate or whatever) because society has made a mockery of this tradition. I always hear people say what they are giving up only to hear them say they cannot wait for Easter so they can get back what they gave up. This kind of Lenten practice will not help me.

One of my goals this year is to become more selfless. Lent is the time I will reflect and pray on how I can accomplish this goal.

YYY

We had meatless soup this evening followed by the Stations of the Cross. I look forward to this time of year and these Fridays. I have many friends who do this also, and we have good fellowship. As we went through each station, I reflected on His suffering and sacrifice and what it means to me. I know that whatever "action" I chose to do during Lent to help me focus must also lead me to a deeper faith. This new Lenten practice must help me look at myself with honesty and humility, and it must help me to change. I want to carry this new "action" past Easter Sunday and throughout the whole year and beyond. That is why it is important I choose wisely. Forty days is double the time needed to develop and nurture a new and positive Faith Habit.

My forty days have begun, and I need to pull myself together and get busy.
I need to go into the desert.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that phrase, "Faith Habit." I considered giving up something like sweets for Lent, which, being my father's daughter, are a pretty big addiction for me, but I too feel that it's a cliche thing to do. Either that, or my addiction makes me feel like that so I don't stop eating sweets. Unfortunately, I've done little so far to commemorate Lent. I always freeze, which is unfortunate since it's such an important season.

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP