Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Life Filled With What's Important

I didn't log in to Facebook last week. The initiative to "unplug" from electronic time fillers and to plug into other positive things such as nature and reading came from my stepdaughter's church: Vineyard Community Church. I enthusiastically decided to join in, and I chose to give up checking Facebook for a whole week unless someone sent me a message that required an immediate response.

The result: I didn't miss Facebook. This doesn't mean I don't want to use Facebook--it just means I don't need a daily (hourly?) dose of social onslaught. I was able to confirm that I can use Facebook sparingly and still reap the benefits of staying connected. This was exciting and enlightening! Thank you, Jennifer! Thank you for sharing this experience with me.

I did utilize Goodreads a little more last week while I was unplugged from Facebook. Even though Goodreads is an electronic tool (hey, so is Blogger), I like that I can track what I read and what I want to read. I thoroughly enjoy using this wonderful site to enter or to update book information as well as to see what my friends are reading. Gotta love that!

On another note, I deleted my Twitter account. While many people find this social media tool fun and necessary to stay connected, I don't see any value in it for me personally. I never use Twitter, and I don't want to log in and watch tweets go by all day long. Ditto for Myspace: not needed. not wanted. goodbye.

I will continue to use Facebook on an as-needed basis so I can stay close to my family and friends. Facebook has become a powerful, global means to maintain connectivity . . . and it works for me--as long as I continue to recognize its value and don't allow it to strangle the other important aspects out of my life such as face-to-face interaction, learning, household chores, rest, recreational activities, reading, nature, and daily prayer.

Life is so much more interesting and meaningful when it's filled and balanced with what's important.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP