Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hello World

I have acknowledged that it is extremely important to speak (electronically or otherwise) to those you care about. This seems like common knowledge, but how many of us actually practice it? I do . . . as much as I can anyway. I never let Ken part from me without a hug, a kiss, and a "be careful" to send him on his way. What if . . . ? I try to acknowledge people when they send me a "hello." How many of us allow friends and family to fall by the wayside? I do, unfortunately--although not as much since so many people I know are on Facebook these days--but I know I still need to try harder! I try to be there or say "hi" or maybe throw out a short and sweet response every now and then. I responded this morning to my parents' email about our upcoming visit in September. They sent me an email on Friday, and I realized this morning that I never responded! Shame on me! They are too important for me to acknowledge them two days later. This shameful feeling prompted me to blog. I feel bad! I want people to know I care and that they are important to me. My selfishness takes over sometimes, darn it!

I have to work at remembering the importance of "keeping in touch" or just acknowledging people because I have a tendency to hermitize myself for long periods of time (yes, you can be a hermit in the middle of a crowd). I am reaching out a lot more these days, but it is not easy for me...it has never been my nature to put myself in such a vulnerable position . . . you know, reach out and risk getting ignored. I hate that, but I am working at not taking it personally. A good friend of mine took forever to respond to an email I sent a few months ago--I started thinking she was mad or whatever . . . I felt bad for a long time even though I really had no reason to feel this way...I know people have busy lives and may forget. I know she did not mean any harm by her unresponsiveness, but I do not want to be like that . . . I mean, I do not want to be the one who never responds or responds weeks later! Ahhh--the Golden Rule!

I must try harder to reach out to the people I love, like, and maybe just know slightly. Life is too short to be going about my business thinking only of myself.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP